Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Onyare!


I have finally decided on a name for my snow corn snake. I went with Onyare, pronounced o-NYA-reh, which means "Snake". The word is from the Mohawk Nation of Native Americans, who were located in the Mohawk Valley in upstate New York, where I was born. The other snake shown here was one I found while mowing my lawn. I captured it to identify it, and later set it free near where I found it. I believe that it was an Eastern Ribbon Snake, T. Sauritus. If you are interested in garter snakes, there is an excellent forum located at http://www.thamnophis.com. My uncle Terry has posted some excellent photos of his “pets” in this thread, under the name “Stonyloam”. See my pictures here.

2 Comments:

At 4/24/2007 9:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a cute little guy. He looks much bigger in the first photo, the others put his size in perspective. Cool name too.

 
At 4/24/2007 12:54 PM , Blogger JFab said...

It means "Snake". I forgot to put that in the original post. I have since edited it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home